· ‘Youth’ is the theme of this year's film fest
· Movies selected for World Competition Section announced
· Total 1008 entries from 91 countries were received
· Ingmar Bergman and Raj Kapoor's movies to be showcased in 'Retrospective Section'
Pune, December 18 : The Pune International Film Festival (PIFF), one of the most awaited and admired film festivals of India will take place in Pune between January 11th and 18th. Organized by the Pune Film Foundation and the Maharashtra Government, this is the 16th consecutive year of this prestigious film fest, which will have ‘Youth’ as the central theme.
This was announced by Dr. Jabbar Patel, Festival Director, during a Press Conference held in the city today. Ravi Gupta, Secretary,PIFF, Dr. Mohan Agashe, Trustee, Satish Alekar, Trustee and Selection Committee Member, Abhijit Randive, Creative Head & Selection Committee Member and Sabina Saghvi, Trustee were also present on the occasion.
Speaking on the occasion Dr. Patel said, “The 8 day long PIFF will showcase about 200 plus films carefully selected from 1008 films received from across the globe. Out of the films received 14 have been selected for the World Competition Section.”
“PIFF 2018 will be showcased in 10 screens at 5 different venues located in Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad. City Pride Kothrud is the main venue for the festival. City Pride Satara Road, Mangala Multiplex, National Films Archives of India (NFAI) are the other venues. A venue in the Pimpri Chinchwad area would also be announced shortly. As always, the festival would be loaded with workshops, seminars, panel discussions”, he added.
Ravi Gupta said that the movies of two great directors- Ingmar Bergman and Raj Kapoor are to be showcased in the Retrospective Section of the festival, which will be a treat for the cinephiles. As a part of the Bergman Centenary Celebrations this retrospective section will add a great value to the festival.
Commenting on this year’s theme Dr. Patel said that this year PIFF will be based on the theme ‘Youth’. The greatest wealth andstrength of any nation is in its youth. The entire world is eyeing India as a source of skilled young and energetic manpower. India being a youth centric country, films could be the best medium to motivate the masses and create awareness about it. PIFF being renowned for providing a responsible platform for such initiatives, will contribute towards encouragement through creativity.
The films under the section World Competition includes the following.
· I am nobody, Director - Muharrem Özabat, Country – Turkey
· REQUIEM FOR MRS. J, Director - Bojan VULETIC, Country – Serbia
· FREE AND EASY, Director - JUN GENG, Country – China
· WOMEN OF THE WEEPING RIVER, Director - Sheron Dayoc, Country – Philippines & France
· EUTHANIZER, Director - Teemu Nikki, Country – FINLAND
· Goliath, Director - Dominik Locher, Country – SWITZERLAND
· THE LONGING, Director - Joram LÜRSEN, Country – NETHERLAND
· ZAMA, Director - Lucrecia martel, Country – Argentina, Brazil, Spain, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Mexico, USA
· MORE, Director - Onur SAYLAK, Country – TURKEY
· The Nothing Factory, Director - Pedro Pinho, Country – PORTUGAL
· I'M A KILLER, Director - Maciej PIEPRZYCA, Country – POLAND
· Djam, Director - TONY GATLIF, Country – TURKEY, GREECE, FRANCE
· The Quartette, Director - Miroslav Krobot, Country - Czech Republic
· NOCTURNAL TIMES, Director – PRIYANANDANAN TR , Country - INDIA
The non competitive section of PIFF 2018 include Student International Section, Just Juries, Global, Asian, Indian Cinema, Country Focus on Argentina and Italy, Kaleidoscope, Retrospective, Youth, Documentaries, Marathi Cinema Today and Tribute.
The online registration for delegates is available at www.piffindia.com which has started from 11th December. Interested delegates can fill the form online and get an acknowledgement number for reference. Once the online registration is completed they can visit spot registration desks at the venues City Pride Kothrud, City Pride Satara Road and Mangala Multiplex. The spot registration will commence from December 20th and will be available from
For students and Film Club members (with valid ID) and senior citizens (over 60 years), the catalogue fee is at a discounted rate of Rs.600/- whereas for open category it is Rs.800/-.